Enjoy your visit and spread the word on studying abroad to wonderful countries.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Purpose

At the beginning of this week, I realized that I had exactly 40 days left in Ghana. After realizing that my time is definitely narrowing down, I had the idea to make my last days in Ghana very meaningful. As I have said before my main goal to accomplish while studying abroad is to obtain academic, social, and spiritual balance. So far it has been going great. My Mid-Semester Exams we went well, I have been having fun socially meeting so many different people, and most importantly, I have become more in tune with God.
Over the past few months, I have been able to obtain this balance but I still felt like something was missing. I had the feeling that my life needed more purpose then just academic and career goals. As I was eating my dinner on Sunday at the Engineering Guest House, I was trying to figure out how I would solve this problem. While sitting at a table with my goals on paper to accomplish, some individuals from my church service walked in to eat dinner as well. I spoke and introduced myself and we talked about our church service. I explained that I was a foreign exchange student and I had 40 days until I return to the United States. Instantly at the moment, one of the gentlemen recommended the book Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. As he recommended, he explain that it is a life changing book and it’s a 40 day process. All I could do was say wow; this is definitely perfect timing to accomplish one last goal.
On Monday, between classes I rush to town by taking 2 taxis to get to the local Christian book store. It was an amazing adventure to eat lunch and be on the go in an hour all for a single book. Once I got the book I had to rush back for classes. Once I was done with classes, I was able to sit down and read the first chapter of this 40 chapter book. I am currently on chapter/day 5 and I am starting to see life in a different perspective. So far this book has made me more passionate and excited about my future and the purpose god has for me. I will definitely recommend this book to anyone seeking purpose to their life.  In the mist of starting this 40 day process, I have started the process with my boyfriend. I enjoy discussing the chapters over the internet in the evenings every day. I am looking forward to the great results of a purposeful and focus life.
On Tuesday, I attend another bible study with a classmate. This bible study took place outside when it was dark in the school local park. We sat on benches under a tree praising god, and reading is word with the light from our cell phones. This was an amazing experience and I will never forget how exciting and unique it was. As I enter the park there were different groups of students having various bible studies with prayer and singing. I wish I could have recorded the scene to show to people because it is definitely something worth seeing.
In the mist of obtaining my spiritual goals, I have been studying consistently for all my classes. With it being the final stretch of the semester it is getting more intense and I am preparing to do my best on my finals.
I hope everyone has a fruitful week!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for encouraging me to become saved. I did not have the best week starting off. Clearly you saw that, but I think it was a wake-up call. Enjoy the rest of your 30 days in the cradle of life!

    ReplyDelete